How is the Capsulolabral Reconstruction Performed?
Dr. James Mazzara can perform this highly effective procedure with arthroscopic or open surgery. The surgical procedure addresses the displaced labrum that resulted from a shoulder dislocation. The ligaments that also provide stability to the shoulder are attached to this labrum. Following a shoulder dislocation, both the labrum and the stabilizing glenohumeral ligaments are torn from their normal position and will heal out of place causing the shoulder to be unstable and prone to recurrent dislocation and a sensation that the shoulder is slipping out of the joint. The repaired labrum and its ligaments are repaired back to their normal position on the glenoid bone in the shoulder. Dr. Mazzara will sew the detached glenoid labrum and the associated ligaments (the labrum is the rim of cartilage or cup-shaped rim that reinforces the socket of the shoulder joint). This procedure is highly successful in stabilizing the shoulder joint and lowering the risk of chronic dislocations.
What Should Patients do After Bankart Repair Surgery?
Dr. Mazzara requires patients to wear a sling for six weeks following surgery so the repaired labrum can continue to heal to the glenoid bone. Patients in the Manchester, South Windsor, Enfield, Rocky Hill, Glastonbury and surrounding Hartford communities are given a set of protocols following capsulolabral reconstruction by Dr. Mazzara:
- Apply ice to the incision site to alleviate pain following surgery.
- Take pain medication as prescribed by Dr. Mazzara to alleviate pain and swelling.
- Use a sling, only as recommended and do not discontinue use until directed.
- Keep the arm immobile. You may remove the sling to dress or bathe, but keep the arm immobile.
- Do not remove the sutures. Follow the incision site instructions provided to you by Dr. Mazzara and his staff.
- Rehabilitation or physical therapy will begin approximately 4-8 weeks after the Bankart repair. Dr. Mazzara will prescribe a program that focuses on shoulder strength and range of motion.
Please note the above list is a general protocol for information only. Dr. Mazzara and his orthopedic team will provide complete post-operative, recovery and rehabilitation guidelines to each patient, based on their specific injury, repair and need.
If you have a question about capsulolabral reconstruction or would like more information on the Bankart Repair, please contact the offices of Dr. James Mazzara, shoulder surgeon serving Manchester, South Windsor, Enfield, Rocky Hill, Glastonbury and surrounding Hartford communities.